Official Title & Summary
Prepared by the Attorney General
DEATH PENALTY. INITIATIVE STATUTE.
- Repeals death penalty as maximum punishment for persons found guilty of murder and replaces it with life imprisonment without possibility of parole.
- Applies retroactively to persons already sentenced to death.
- States that persons found guilty of murder and sentenced to life without possibility of parole must work while in prison as prescribed by the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.
- Increases portion of life inmates’ wages that may be applied to victim restitution.
Summary of Legislative Analyst’s Estimate of Net State and Local Government Fiscal
- Net ongoing reduction in state and county costs related to murder trials, legal challenges
to death sentences, and prisons of around $150 million annually within a few years. This
estimate could be higher or lower by tens of millions of dollars, depending on various